Donate simply and safely: You can support effective charitable projects by worldwide by donating through the Effective Altruism Foundation. You can claim tax benefits on your donations in Germany and Switzerland by donating through this website. You can specify which project to support in the second step of the donation process.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can support the following international EA charities via EAF:
- 80,000 Hours
- Against Malaria Foundation
- Center on Long-Term Risk (CLR)
- Centre for Effective Altruism
- Clean Air Task Force
- CLR Fund
- Deworm the World Initiative (Evidence Action)
- Evidence Action (unrestricted)
- GiveDirectly – Main program
- GiveDirectly – Basic income project
- GiveWell (operating expenses)
- Helen Keller International – Vitamin A supplementation program
- Humane Slaughter Association
- Machine Intelligence Research Institute
- Malaria Consortium – Seasonal malaria chemoprevention program
- Schistosomiasis Control Initiative
- The Good Food Institute
- The Humane League
- Wild Animal Initiative
On request we also accept large donations (≥ $10,000) on behalf of the following organizations:
To choose which charities to support, we use the insights of the independent charity evaluators GiveWell and Animal Charity Evaluators, the international effective altruism movement, as well as our own research.
- You can support the charities and projects above either through a one-off donation or through a regular monthly donation. EAF offers this service free of charge. If you want to donate smaller amounts, or if you don’t need a tax receipt for your donation, you can donate directly to the organization of your choice.
- You can support EAF either through unrestricted donations or through earmarked donations. Unrestricted donations allow us to undertake activities where we expect the greatest value, and where there is the most room for more funding. These donations are always used for EAF’s projects and operations.
- Registration: you should share your donation preferences with us through online registration in order for us to correctly allocate your donation. You can find the registration form for donations to EAF here, and for donations to international EA charities here.
- Transfer: after registering your donation, the website will display the different payment options. For small donations, we encourage you to pay by credit card or direct debit, since bank transfers require more effort to match.
- Donation to external charities: if you choose to support an external charity, we will transfer your donation to them along with other contributions semi-annually.
For tax purposes, we send donation receipts once a year. See the answer below.
Please fill out the registration form once for every organization you wish to support.
If you are donating via bank transfer, you can set up one single transfer for the sum of your donations. Please copy all respective reference codes into the transfer purpose field so we can correctly allocate your donation.
As long as your donation is made to a corporation with tax-deductible status in your country, your donations can be claimed as tax-deductible. This is also true if the donation is granted out to another organization afterward. Currently, we can offer tax-deductible donations in Germany and Switzerland. You can find our tax exemption documents here.
EAF sends a single receipt via email at the beginning of the year, which includes all your donations in the preceding year, as long as your donations totaled at least 100.– and were made to EAF directly. We can only issue receipts if all fields in the registration form – including the address field – were filled out. Donation receipts are issued in the name of the account holder from which the donation is made. If you don’t get your receipt by February, contact us. Keep in mind that a donation is included in a given year if we receive the donation in that year, independently of when you make the transfer. Please keep this in mind for donations via bank transfer made in late December, since they could reach our accounts in January.
We do not charge any fees for processing your donations. However, some payment processors charge a small fee that is deducted from your donation:
- Bank transfer: typically free of charge, although your bank may charge for international transfers
- Direct debit: 1%, capped at 2 euros
- Credit card: 2-3%
- PayPal: 2.5% for CHF donations, 5.2% for other currencies
- Skrill: 3.3%
- Bitcoin: 1%
You can find detailed information about our activities and goals as well as our financial situation on our transparency site. EAF’s finances are checked annually by an independent auditor. EAF is also subject to the observation of the Confederate Foundation Advisory Body in Switzerland.
EAF transfers contributions twice a year to external charities, typically in March and September. For legal reasons, EAF withholds the right to decide on the final use of the donations. In practice, however, we respect donors’ wishes and transfer the entirety of their donations to their selected organizations.
We give the charity you select your contact details so that the organization can thank you directly. However, whether they choose to do so is up to them. If you’d like to contact the organization to inquire about your donation, please note that it can take up to 8 months to distribute a donation from our accounts, due to the semi-annual schedule of our regranting program.
To change the allocation or amount of your monthly donation, please fill in the donation registration form again with your updated preferences. For donations via bank transfer, you can then adjust the standing order with the new reference number / purpose.
If you wish to cancel or change your monthly direct debit or credit card donation, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.